According to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), a specific learning disability is defined as “a disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, that may manifest itself in the imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell, or to do mathematical calculations.”
Specific Learning Disability
- Best Practices for Addressing Disproportionality in SLD (recorded on March 15, 2017)
- Establishing Effective Practices to Address Disproportionality in SLD (recorded on February 24, 2017)
- Sample Evaluation Summary Report Template
- SLD Evaluation: Linking Cognitive Assessment Data to Learning Strategies
- Blumberg Center for Interdisciplinary Studies in Special Education. (2011). Considerations in Specific Learning Disability Evaluation and Eligibility Determination. Terre Haute, IN: Effective Evaluation Resource Center. Available at: http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/specialed/8-sld-considerations-document-2011.pdf
- Johnson, E. S. (2014). Identification and Evaluation of Learning Disabilities: The School Team’s Guide to Student Success. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.
- Mandell, D. S., Wiggins, L. D., Carpenter, L. A., Daniels, J. L., DiGuiseppi, C., Durkin, M. S., ... Kirby, R. S. (2009). Racial/ethnic disparities in the identification of children with autism spectrum disorders. American journal of public health, 99(3), 493-498. Available at: https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.131243
- Addressing Disproportionality in Autism (recorded on April 7, 2017)
- Webinar: Friendship 101: Helping Learners with Autism Build Social Competence
- IRIS Webinar on Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Article 7 Eligibility Areas
- Interacting with Autism: a video based resource
- The Color of Autism Foundation
- FAR Foundation for Autism Resources
- Quick Start for School Personnel at HANDS in Autism®: Interdisciplinary Training and Resource Center
- Indiana Resource Center for Autism
- Medical Diagnosis of ASD vs. Educational Diagnosis of ASD
- Arnold, C. (25 May 2016). Autism’s Race Problem. Pacific Standard. Available at: https://psmag.com/autisms-race-problem-2e23223d4a5
- Becker H., Seay P., & Morrison J.(2009). Differences in the prevalence of autism among Black, Hispanic, and White students. Multicultural Learning and Teaching, 4(1), 45–57.
- Centers for Disease Control. (2009). Prevalence of autism spectrum disorders—Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring Network, United States, 2008. MMWR: Surveillance Summaries, 58(SS-10), 1–20.
- Dyches T., Wilder L., Sudweeks R., Obiakor F., & Algozzine B.(2004). Multicultural issues in Autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 34(2), 211–222.
- Harris, B., Barton, E. E., & Albert, C. (2014). Evaluating Autism Diagnostic and Screening Tools for Cultural and Linguistic Responsiveness. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 44(6), 1275-1287.
- Mandell, David S. et al. (2009). Racial/Ethnic Disparities in the Identification of ChildrenWith Autism Spectrum Disorders. American Journal of Public Health, 99(3), 493-498.
- Mandell D. S., Ittenbach, R. F., Levy, S. E., Pinto-Martin, J.A. (2007). Disparities in diagnoses received prior to diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, 37(9), 1795–1802.
- Mandell D. S., Listerud J., Levy S. E., & Pinto-Martin J. A.(2002). Race differences in the age at diagnosis among Medicaid-eligible children with autism. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 41(12), 1447–1453.
- Morrier, M. J. & Hess, K. L.(2010). Ethnic differences in autism eligibility in the United States public schools. Journal of Special Education, 46(1), 41-63.
- Morrier, M. J., Hess, K. L., & Heflin, L. J. (2008). Ethnic disproportionality in students with autism spectrum disorders. Multicultural Education, 16(1), 31-38.
- Palmer R. F., Walker T., Mandell D., Bayles B., & Miller C. S.(2009). Explaining low rates of autism among Hispanic schoolchildren in Texas. American Journal of Public Health, 100, 270–272.
- Sullivan, A. L. (2013). School-based autism identification: Prevalence, racial disparities, and systemic correlates. School Psychology Review, 42(3), 298-316.
- Tek, & Landa, R. J. (2012). Differences in Autism Symptoms Between Minority and Non-Minority Toddlers. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 42(9), 1967-1973.
- Tincani M., Travers J. C., & Boutot A.(2009). Race, culture, and autism spectrum disorder: Understanding the role of diversity in successful educational interventions. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities, 34, 81–90.
- Travers J. C., Tincani M., & Krezmien M.(2013). A multiyear national profile of racial disparity in autism identification. Journal of Special Education, 47(1), 41-49.
- Travers, J., Krezmien, M. P., Mulcahy, C., & Tincani, M. (2012). Racial Disparities in Administrative Autism Identification Across the United States during 2000 and 2007. The Journal of Special Education, 48(3), 155-166.