There are several tools that can be used to identify the systemic mechanisms that attribute to disparate treatment of subgroup of students and help you to develop action planning guides to address the disparities in discipline, identification and/or placement. These can be an essential element to increase equity and transparency for school leadership with students, teachers, and community members.
Identification of Success Gaps
- Addressing the Root Causes of Disparities in School Discipline: An Educator's Action Planning Guide
- Identifying the Root Causes of Disproportionality
- Fergus, E. (2017) Solving Disproportionality and Achieving Equity: A Leader’s Guide to Using Data to Change Hearts and Minds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- O’Hara, N., Munk, T., Reedy, K., & D’Agord C. (2016). Equity, Inclusion, and Opportunity: Addressing Success Gaps. Washington, D.C.: IDEA Data Center. Available at: https://ideadata.org/resource-library/54611b49140ba0d8358b4569/
- Osher, D., Fisher, D., Amos, L., Katz J., Dwyer, K., Duffey, T., & Colombi, G.D. (2015). Addressing the root causes of disparities in school discipline: An educator’s action planning guide. Washington, D.C.: National Center on Safe Supportive Learning Environments. Available at: https://safesupportivelearning.ed.gov/sites/default/files/15-1547%20NCSSLE%20Root%20Causes%20Guide%20FINAL02%20mb.pdf
- Preuss, P.G. School Leader’s Guide to Root Cause Analysis: Using Data to Dissolve Problems. (2003). Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education.
- Voulgarides, C.K. & Zwerger, N. (2014) Identifying the Root Causes of Disproportionality. New York, NY: Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools at NYU Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development. Available at: https://steinhardt.nyu.edu/scmsAdmin/media/users/ll81/Identifying_the_Root_Causes_of_Disproportionality.pdf